These gooey, chocolatey brownies are seriously decadent and are a knockout with my kids. Raw cacao is packed full of flavonoids, in particular anthocyanidin to protect from cardiovascular disease and cancer, resveratrol to support the nervous system and slow signs of aging, and epicatechins to improve insulin resistance. Change up the flavour by throwing in different nuts and fruits and voila!
1 cup coconut flour
½ cup cacao powder
¼ cup chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch Himalayan salt
1 cup medjool dates
1 cup almond butter
¼ cup maple syrup or raw honey
½ cup almond milk
1 cup water
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup shredded coconut
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped (or any nut variety)
½ cup fresh raspberries (or any berry variety)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Make chia gel by combining chia seeds and water in a small bowl and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, cacao, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add dates, almond butter, honey, almond milk and coconut oil to a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures, add chia gel, chopped walnuts, shredded coconut and raspberries stir well.
- Transfer to baking tray lined with baking paper and smooth out.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted in the centre and come out clean.
- Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool. Cut into squares and top with coconut, chia seeds or chopped nuts if desired.