These gooey chocolaty brownies are seriously decadent. Raw cacao is packed full of flavonoids, in particular anthocyanidin to protect from cardiovascular disease and cancer, resveratrol to support the nervous system and slow signs of ageing, and epicatechins to improve insulin resistance. Who knew chocolate could be so good?
1 cup coconut flour
½ cup cacao powder
¼ cup chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch Himalayan salt
1 cup medjool dates
1 cup almond butter
¼ cup raw honey
½ cup almond milk
1 cup water
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
Shredded coconut, chia seeds or chopped nuts for serving (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Make chia gel by combining chia seeds and water in a small bowl and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, cacao, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add dates, almond butter, honey, almond milk and coconut oil to a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures, add chia gel and stir well.
- Transfer to baking tray lined with baking paper and smooth out.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted in the centre and come out clean.
- Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool. Cut into squares and top with coconut, chia seeds or chopped nuts if desired.