A perfect dessert for this cooler weather. A great source of B-complex vitamins and vitamins A and K, rhubarb has quite a bitter taste which is why it is a perfect match for sweet desserts.
4 small red apples, cored, peeled and chopped
1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
1 cup coconut water
¼ cup coconut sugar
Zest from 1 orange
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
¾ cup raw nuts, roughly chopped (I used pecans)
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- To make the filling, combine apples, rhubarb, coconut water and sugar and orange zest in a large saucepan. Cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, till pieces are soft. Place filling in an oiled baking dish (I used 23cm x 19cm rectangular baker).
- To make the crumble, place oats, shredded coconut, raw nuts, maple syrup, coconut oil and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and combine well. You can also place crumble ingredients into a food processor for a smoother consistency.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the top of the filling in baking dish. Place in oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden in colour.
- Serve warm with a dollop of natural, Sheep or Goat’s milk, or coconut yoghurt.