Bone broths are like nutritional liquid gold. Not only are they warm and nourishing for those suffering illness or debility, they should be a staple for anyone wanting to improve their overall health and wellbeing. Animal bone broths are rich in amino acids, collagen and minerals. They repair the gut, improve symptoms of arthritis and osteoporosis and reduce inflammation.
1 whole organic chicken
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
1 leek, white part only, diced
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
½ celery, roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped cauliflower heads
1 cup cabbage, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 strip of kombu seaweed, cut into strips (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large stockpot. Add onion and garlic and fry until onion turns translucent.
- Add dried herbs and fry for a further 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and lemon juice and cover with water. Make sure the chicken is completely immersed in water. Bring to the boil then simmer (covered) for 6 hours. Add more water if necessary.
- Add remaining ingredients (except salt and pepper) and continue cooking for another 2 hours. Keep adding water if needed. Remember to always cover chicken.
- Once cooked, the chicken should melt off the bone. Using tongs, remove bones from pot. Ladle into bowls with vegetables and chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.