Cauliflower is packed full of antioxidants and phytonutrients, in particular choline which is known to improve memory and cognitive function.
3 medium zucchini
2 tsp olive oil
½ head cauliflower, chopped into florets
6 rashes bacon, fat on, diced or 2 cups sliced mushrooms as a meat alternative
½ cup baby spinach
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoon arrowroot (or rice/spelt) flour
1 cup almond milk
½ tsp chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash zucchini and spiralise. You can also use a peeler to peel thick strips then slice lengthways for finer ribbons.
- Transfer to bowl, drizzle with oil and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Steam cauliflower until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile in a large frypan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Be sure to keep bacon fat for next step.
- Using bacon fat, sauté onion and garlic until translucent. For meat-free alternative, simply sauté mushrooms with above. Add to cauliflower with almond milk, flour, chilli, salt and pepper. Using a stick blender (or high-speed blender) blitz mixture until well combined and creamy.
- Transfer back to frypan, add zucchini noodles, bacon or mushrooms and spinach and toss to combine and heat.